Director of Food Safety
Req #: 4e398ede-0dee-46c4-b2cd-a86c0167948a
Location: WESTBOROUGH, MA
Location Name: CUMBERLAND FARMS - STORE SUPPORT CENTER OFFICE
Job Category: Corporate
This position will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and guidance on the company’s
Food Safety programs. In this role, will also implement continuous improvements to enhance quality
processes and enforce food safety policies company-wide, while adhering to compliance with
Regulatory Agencies. As the company has expanded its business into the Food & Beverage (F&B)
sector, as well as the Quick Serve Restaurant (QSR) arena, this position will provide critical guidance
defining policy, training needs, and providing support to Culinary Center Operations in defining Good
Manufacturing Practices (GMP's)
• Function as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all Food Safety related trends, regulations, and legislation,
while maintaining a high level of expertise on related subjects, to ensure full compliance with all
• Develop and maintain business relationships with appropriate regulatory agencies, serving in the role of
liaison as related to all Food Safety matters.
• Implement continuous improvement enhancements in the Food Safety area by setting goals and
identifying key performance indicators.
• Work closely with Store Operations, Store Support Center, as well as Marketing, WDC, Culinary Center
and other departments to provide guidance on, and assure implementation of, Food Safety programs and
hygienic design of facilities and their equipment.
• Develop company-wide benchmarks and corresponding metrics to measure Food Safety performance
against industry markers.
• Maintain product cycle consistency through shelf life studies, and regular contact with key suppliers to
ensure our needs are met and exceeded.
• Responsible for maintaining and upgrading HACCP procedures in all business units. Using a risk based,
preventative approach, make sure that food safety programs are effective and all facilities adhere and
comply with GMP’s.
• Oversee sanitation and environmental monitoring of production facilities, to ensure production takes
place only under safe conditions.
• Follow up on corrective actions when issues are found.
• Manage investigations, and reporting of quality issues, market withdrawals and recalls, and
implementation of internal audit control processes in the Quality Assurance/food safety arena.
• Develop new procedures to ensure production of quality products.
• Oversee hiring, training, managing and development of all Food Safety Staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Food Safety, Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science or related field.
Preferred Education: PhD in Microbiology, Food Science, Food Safety, Engineering (or related field) from an accredited institution.
Minimum Experience: At least 15 years prior experience with food manufacturing processes, or QSR sector, specifically related to
Food safety matters, corporate regulatory work, audit procedures and RTE (preferred).
Preferred Experience: At least 5 to 10 years prior experience in a similar role (i.e. Director/Sr. Manager level), with specific
knowledge and direct experience related to overseeing compliance with FDA, USDA , SQF and
International regulations (FSMA training). In depth knowledge of legal and regulatory ramifications of
the food safety area. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.).
Excellent quantitative/analytical, communication (i.e. written and verbal) skills.
Must be able to work cross functionally and lead/influence others, including third parties in a supply
Other: Must be able to travel as needed to assigned regions.
Preventative Controls Qualified individual.
Experience in the Food Service sector.